Re: device files

aj@dungeon.inka.de (Andreas Jellinghaus) writes:

> hy.
>
> a) which packages holds the /dev/ devices ?
>
> b) should other packages create new devices in /dev/ or should theese
> devices go in the package with all other devices ? i'm going to maintain
> isdnutils...
>
> c) i want to move isdn devices to group dialup, so any user in this group can
> hangup isdn. (but they can also reconfigure isdn :-(

Please don't, better add a setuid isdnhangup utility executable only by group
dialout.

Even this is a bad idea: What if several users are using the connection
concurrently? If you want to minimize phone costs, set the hangup timeout
depending on current Telekom unit duration.

You may want to have look at Matthis Urlichs U-ISDN (ask me for the URL), it's a
pity my new provider insists on sync-ppp and U-ISDN doesn't support it for my
passive Creatix S0/16.0 :-(

At present I'm struggling to get isdn4linux up.

Thanks
  Siggy

--
Siggy Brentrup <bsb@debian.org> aka: bsb@north.de
*** PGP public key available from keyservers ***