Re: device files

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> On Mar 28, Dale Scheetz wrote
> > The makedev package controls what devices are constructable via
> > /etc/devinfo and although this file is certainly modifiable by the system
> > administrator, but I don't think that a package should modify it. This
> > keeps the devices that a package can create under the control of the
> > makedev package. Since makedev is part of the base system it will always
> > be available (under normal circumstances) for other packages to use. So,
> > as long as a package doesn't modify devinfo it should be able to create
> > devices.
>
> thanks. i fileld a bug report against makedev (it doesn't know about all
> isdn devices, and would only create some of them (but theese with
> security holes). next version of isdnutils will depend on a new makedev
> and use it to create the devices.
>
> btw: should it create cui devices (like cua, but for isdn) ? the kernel
> supports it, but there is no good reason to use them. and i don't think,
> that you need compatibility in this case.

We had the goal to drop the cua devices for Debian 1.3 (cf. Brian's list).
So I'll vote for dropping them if they are not needed by any of Debian's
ISDN tools.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/