Re: fvwm2 menus burned

>     >> I did that.  But now something keeps adding a DestroyMenu
>     >> MainMenu to the "/etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook" file, so my
>     >> premainmenu.hook stuff gets wiped out by it.  It started after
>     >> the last upgrade, to the BETA version.  I have `bug` reported
>     >> it.
>
>     joost> Menu-1.0 (to be released shortly) will add "this is a
>     joost> auto-generated file, don't edit" at the top of
>     joost> /etc/x11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook.
>
>  The Menu package should NOT put the MainMenu definition into the
> menudefs.hook file!  That is not where they belong.  They belong
> inside the main-menu.hook file, which should have an AddToMenu
> MainMenu placed at the top, to prevent those entries from getting
> tacked onto the last menu defined in the user's
> ~/.fvwm2/main-menu.hook file.

The menu packages DOES NOT DO ANYTHING.

If you make, in your /etc/X11/fvm2/system.fvwm2rc script something else
the mainmenu, and inside that mainmenu load "/Debian", you'll have
the "menu generated" menus as a submenu of your mainmenu.

>  Every time that menu runs its thing and regenerates the menus, it
> puts a DestroyMenu MainMenu and definitions for the MainMenu into
> menudefs.hook, and also creates a main-menu.hook file with no
> AddToMenu MainMenu at the top.

This is not from the menu package, but all from the fvwm2 package:
the /etc/menu-methods/fvwm2 script (comes with the fvwm2 package)
says: put "DestroyMenu , AddMenu" in the menudefs.hook file. You
can change the /etc/menu-methods/fvwm2 script yourself, or ask the
fvwm2 maintainre to chagnge it. Also, as far as I remember, it
only adds stuff like[2]:

DestroyMenu /Debian
AddToMenu /Debian "Main Menu" Title

So, it only destroys the /Debian menu, not the MainMenu menu.
But again, you can fully configure the exact wording of those
DestroyMenu/AddtoMenu things, and you can make the /Debian tree
appear inside some submenu.

> This loses my main-menu-pre.hook
> menus, and tacks a second copy of the main menu onto the end of my
> last menu item.

That's because the read commands are the wrong way around in your
system.fvwm2rc file, if I remmeber correctly

>  To fix the breakage, I have to delete the last section of
> menudefs.hook, removing all of the MainMenu stuff in there, and then
> add an AddToMenu MainMenu to the top of the main-menu.hook file.

Or change the read order of menudefs.hook and main-menu.hook files
in your system.fvwm2rc file.

[1] Well, I'm blaming the fvwm2 package, but that's not fully true:
  the menu package includes some example menu-methods scripts, and
  the fvwm2 menu-method matches the menu-package-example very closely.
  Then again, the example from the menu-package generates output
  that very closely resembles the output that used to be generated by
  the install-fvwm2menu command (from a previous version of the fvwm2 package),
  so if you want to trace it back...

[2] that's what's being generated now, anyway. And the "/Debian" is
  fully configurable in menu-1.0. It's just that menu-1.0 hasn't yet
  been released. (pre-release version lives in
  ftp://rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl/debian/upload/menu_0.12*)

Note: What version of the fvwm2 package are you using? If I remember
  correctly, an old version used to have problems simmilar to those
  you describe.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org