Re: glibc2/libc6 infortmation

Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> is there a small documentation on glibc2/libc6 ?
>  - which packages are needed to compile programs based on libc6
>  - which packages are needed then to compile programs with old libc5
>  - flags etc. nedded to force gcc to compile with libc5

Not yet.  It never occured to me that one would be needed because the
necessary setup was totally obvious.  Clearly I was mistaken.  :)

> i tried recent gcc, libc6, libc5, altlibc5, ld.so (most from
> experminental), but i could not compile everything :

This seems right so far.

> i compiled a program with -b i486-linuxlibc1, and everything worked,
> till gcc tried to link it :
> undefined reference _IO_putc
>
> glibc2 has a _IO_putc, but libc5 has a #define makro, so the compile
> shouldn't ask for _IO_putc ...
> (i tried using -I/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include but it didn't help)

I haven't a clue why this would happen.  You _do_ have libc5-altdev and
altgcc installed, right?  Try using i486-linuxlibc1-gcc instead of -b
i486-linuxlibc1.  If that still dosen't work, mail me with the details
of what you're doing and I'll see what I can do.

--Galen