Re: GOAL: Consistent Keyboard Configuration

Excellent summary. This problem needs sorting out.

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> Anyways, I don't want to mess around with different meanings of
> the Backspace/Delete keys all the time just because the author of Emacs
> did this mistake!

Absolutely.

> Let me summarize (and please correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> 1) everyone agrees that "Backspace" (the "<--" key) should delete to the
>    left

Yes.
> 2) that "Delete" (the "del" key, or "Entf" for germans :-) should delete
>    the key the cursor is standing on

Yes.

In addition, the left arrow should probably move to the left without
deleting. I'd be happy for this to be a guideline where that key is
used. This is less important than the previous two points.

> 3) ^H (that is Ctrl-H) should act like "Backspace"
> 4) except within emacs, where ^H should bring up the online help

No real comment about 3 and 4.

Ideally this should work logging in to and from remote machines as well.

> Anyways, I'm talking about the "default kbd configuration" of a Debian
> system. Everyone is free to override this with his own meaning of some
> keys.

Exactly.

> For example, we could ask the user at installation time of the emacs
> package, whether he/she wants to
>
>   a) ^H _and_ Backspace to bring up the help screen
> or
>   b) ^H _and_ Backspace delete the character to the left
>
> Of course, some workaround we be good.
>
> > 	Change thingslike this around, and see another jihad erupt ;-)
>
> Hey, I'm not going to give up that early!

Excellent.