time stops on latest kernels

Is anyone else running the latest unstable kernels on a uniprocessor?
I have noticed that with many of the recent kernels (including
2.1.40), time appears to be stopped.  With these kernels, on my
machine clock never returns anything but zero, and things like
procmeter never register anything for cpu usage.

I know that 2.1.26 doesn't have this problem, but I'm not sure where
it was introduced.  I have a suspicion that it's related to the new
multiprocessor code...

Thanks
--
Rob