Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Hi,

Brandon> On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>> I strongly object! Please don't rename our install-info just
>> because the FSF has a program with the same name. Every package out
>> there that installs GNU info docs uses this script and might fail.

Brandon> Wait a minute, from what I understood, every non-debian
Brandon> package installing GNU info docs was already failing.  I'm
Brandon> trying to fix something that is broken, not break something
Brandon> that is working.

	I think that the adding a new program with the delay *is*
 breaking something that is working ;-)

Brandon> Didn't you understand that the whole idea behind the script
Brandon> was to keep using the install-info for the debian-packages,
Brandon> but generate a warning so they will eventually convert over
Brandon> the the dinstall-info?  Perhaps this is more clear in the
Brandon> compromise I recently posted.

	I do not think that the proposal as it stands is secure
 enough, nor that it does not break the upgrade path in the
 long run. If i want to upgrade from 1.3.1 to 2.0, all my postrm
 scripts that run install-info will break if the install-info has
 changed in the meanwhile.

	I know what you are thinking. We keep the old install-info a
 while longer. This is sloppy thinking. What about upgrading from
 1.3.1 to 3.0? 4.0?  Why break Debian for FSF stupidity? (1/2 ;-)

>> I'd vote for installing FSF's install-info with a different name,
>> for example "gnu-install-info".

Brandon> But non-debian packages are looking for install-info and will
Brandon> use debians incompatable version.  IIRC, the default root
Brandon> path has /usr/sbin before /usr/bin, and this is from bash
Brandon> itself, not /etc/profile.  So what you are suggesting is to
Brandon> modify the default root path to install non-debian packages,
Brandon> a bad hack IMHO.

	If you wish to install local packages, please put
 /usr/local/bin before /usr/s?bin. If you think this is a bug, please
 get FSF to change configure.in to use gnu-install-info instead.

	manoj
 with fanatical zeal glinting in his eyes
--
 "Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself,
 and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a