Re: Intention to re-write /usr/sbin/install-info

Hi,

	Firstly, I would like to ask people to keep their cool on this
 list; we are supposed to be having a technical discussion
 here. Secondly, nobody is saying to hell with GNU software (Debian
 thinks it is GNU/Linux, remember?)

	I would prefer the following slower deployment scheme::
 a) dinstall-info should added immediately, with /usr/sbin/install-info
   symlinked to it.
 b) Debian packages should now use dinstall-info. This may be made a
    requirement for release of a future Debian release, maybe even
    2.0.
 c) GNU install-info, when it is packaged, should conflict with the
    current dpkg; it should also confict with some other packages (<=
    <fixed version). which use the old install-info.
 d) GNU install-info, when it is packaged, should pre-depend on a a
    dpkg which does *NOT* also provide the symlink
 e) GNU install-info should not be provided until the release after
    dinstall-info is formalized.

	In other words:
  2.0     install-info symlink exists. All packages in 2.0 use
          dinstall-info. GNU version not yet provided in main
          distribution. A README file exists so that people who wish
          can install GNU install-info from experimental (depends on
          dinstall-info to make sure people do not totally break the
          system). This experimental package should wipe the
          symlink. Upgrades from previous versons go smoothly.

  2.1/3.0 GNU install-info moves into main distribution. Predepends
            on dpkg (version with dinstallinfo, but no
            symlink). Anyone upgrading from 1.3.1 and older versions
            will be told to upgrade dpkg first, and hold off on GNU
            install-info  until after other packages have been
            upgraded.

	(Change the above to read: experimental/new verson of texinfo
 instead of GNU install-info if we wish to have texinfo prvide
 install-info).

	This is a slower deployment, but I think it retains an upgrade
 path, and should move us towards having a true GNU install-info on
 Debian.