Re: Checking for old tex packages .....

On 2 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Carey" == Carey Evans <c.evans@clear.net.nz> writes:
>
> Carey> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes: [snip]
>
> Carey> Wouldn't it be easier, faster and more compatible with dpkg to
> Carey> do something like:
>  [...] snipped
>
> 	No, this won't work as expected, since dpkg truncates things
>  in column 2 to fit. Try something like the snippet below my signature
>  (untested, but should work)
>
> Carey> Am I missing something?
>
> 	Only one of the installed package names is correct below.

But this is just the way the old script is working (AFAIK)--and it's
definitely too slow.

What's your (Carey) problem with my script? dpkg-perl is thought as a
programming interface to dpkg--so it's quite compatible. And it's way
faster than the old one. (Of course, if you have a better idea, please let
me know.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/