Re: libfoo package depend on libfoog package?

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> There are a few libc5-based library packages that depend on their
> libc6-based relative, for example, svgalib1 depends on svgalibg1.
>
> I guess that is a bug, isn't it? (Why must J.R.User install the
> libc6-based libs to run their libc5-linked old apps?)

I've been thinking about that, and have some worries about our
proposed upgrading path. Imagine the following scenario:

- a user has a 'bo' system installed
- he decides to upgrade one of his libs, say libelf0, to the latest
version, found in hamm (it may happen next year, after 'hamm' has been
released as 'stable', this is not a "hamm is unstable, what do you
expected?" case)
- the new libelf0 package places libelf.so.0.6.4 under /usr/lib/libc5-compat,
but the old ld.so in 'bo' doesn't know about that path, does it?
Bang! The user will get errors when trying to run his old bo applications,
linked with libelf0, until he upgrades ldso or includes /usr/lib/libc5-compat
in /etc/ld.so.conf . Am I missing something?

So, perhaps packages that place libs under /usr/lib/libc5-compat should
depend on the new ld.so

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental