Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

On Sep 8, Brian C. White wrote
> 14 - Link shared libraries themselves against other shared libs, instead of
>      including their code static (e.g. as current S-Lang already does); this
>      can reduce memory use.  -- jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M.Dassen)
>
>       See H.J. Lu's "ELF: From The Programmer's Perspective"
>       <URL:ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/elf.ps.gz> for details.

I'll repost my updated version of this text. Please put it in.

: 14 - Link shared libraries themselves against other shared libs, instead
:      of including their code statically. This has several advantages. It
:      allows the linker to warn about "mixed libc5/libc6 binaries", and,
:      more general, makes the dependencies of shared libraries themselves
:      more explicit; this should be used in generating the Depends: line of
:      a library package (e.g. through dpkg-shlibdeps). This could prevent
:      subtle bugs resulting from interactions between code (statically
:      included) from incompatible library versions. Also, it can reduce
:      memory use. -- jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl (J.H.M. Dassen)
:
:      See H.J. Lu's "ELF: From The Programmer's Perspective"
:      <URL:ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/elf.ps.gz> for
:      details.

Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch