Re: sorry to open a can of worrm but... pgp is non-free?

> Pgp's copyright includes:
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this compilation for
> any non-commercial purpose is hereby granted without fee, subject to
> the following license:
>
> <snip>
>
> Doesn't this make pgp non-free? And yet debian depends on it for
> development.

Yes.  But what can we do?  There isn't an equivalent free software
package.

I believe that the FSF Task List has an entry for writing replacements
for PGP and ssh.

http://www.fsf.org/prep/tasks_8.html#SEC8

Sounds like a high-profile opportunity to me.  Of course, I'm not going
to volunteer, since writing good crypto code takes a lot of experience.

Cheers,

 - Jim