Re: Once again: libc6 packages compatibility etc...

> > suggestion :
> > we can drop the altdev and libc5 support in 2.1, at least the
> > development stuff. if a new major version of a library comes out, we
> > should also drop the support, but not before 2.0 is released.
>
> The more this goes on, the more I think the best thing to do would have
> been to just clean out hamm completely and only let libc6 packages
> be uploaded.
>
> We could still do this, I suppose with very little impact on hamm.
> The big problem is with upgrades from earlier versions.

Do you mean clean out hamm of libc5 libraries too?

Then  I can see other problems:
  - You cannot run netscape any more (or any other "commercial" binary
    without source that we don't
  - Upgrades are _really_ difficult, you will have to upgrade
    most/all of base in one go, otherwise it will break.
  - Users have even bugged me for libc5 versions of libg++27-dev,
    and some got really pissed when I (many moons ago) said I didn'
    know whether I was ever going to provide them. Not even
    providing libc5 dynamical libraries will make them even more
    angry.

Now we've done nearly all of the libraries libc5/libc6 compat style,
I think we shouldn't go back any more. We should (and I am anyway)
be prowd of what we've done. (And, thank those who designed this
libc5/6 system. I think it's great, although admittedly more work).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj