Re: MaintainerDatabase Copyright

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

Manoj> 	So, that means we have to keep track of privacy levels for
Manoj> each field, which means doubling the number of fields, in
Manoj> effect.

Yes, but would that be a problem? I would not expect the size of the
database to become a problem, and with sensible defaults, few people
would feel a need to change the privacy level of a field.

Of course, it would (technically) be more effective and almost as good
to fix the privacy level of each field, assuming some consensus could
be reached.  The problem is not as much in allowing some maintainers
to keep something private, but fixed privacy levels would not allow
individual maintainers to specify that something many think should be
private can be public for him.

The idea is to use flexibility to avoid having to reach consensus on
precisely what should be public and what should be private. The
copyright discussion revealed that there is a range of views on these
issues, and while I may have difficulties in understanding why
somebody would fear modifications of a publically distributed
database, I have no problems in respecting that such views exists and
thus must be addressed.

Manoj> 	Hmm. If the information about the privacy level of my email
Manoj> address private too? (do we need another field to determine the
Manoj> privacy level of the privacy level of the privacy level of a
Manoj> field?)  [ducking]

Weeell, that would lead to a pretty complicated questionaire :-)

I personally think that privacy levels can be public. If this is not
ok, one can hide the privacy levels at report generation time. Rather
than saying "you are not privileged to access that information", we
could say something like "syntax error" instead :-)

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech