      To: Debian Development <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
      Subject: Status of Debian Policy
      From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
      Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 17:08:06 +0200 (CEST)

  Issue #2:

      Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 21:27:18 +0200 (CEST)
      From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
      To: Debian Development <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>

  Issue #3:

      Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:48:56 +0200 (CEST)
      From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
      To: Debian Policy <debian-policy@lists.debian.org>
      Cc: Debian Development <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
      Subject: DEBIAN POLICY WEEKLY, Issue #3 (August 18, 1997)

2. The name of the game
-----------------------

With the release of issue #3 I decided to continue these postings and
develop a unique style for them (for example, text and HTML versions).
Because they were expected to appear periodically, I called it "POLICY
WEEKLY".

However, as Steve Greenland pointed out, "POLICY WEEKLY" is in fact
"POLICY EVERY-SO-OFTEN-AS-NEEDED" :-) So if someone has a better name for
my postings, please tell me. (What about "POLICY NEWS LETTER"?)

3. The mailing lists
--------------------

A lot of people have suggested to send the posting to debian-policy and a
copy to debian-devel-announce. Actually, I was also thinking of this
already, but last time I asked Bruce about this, he said that he wants to
keep the list for really important changes. (Bruce, can you comment on
this.)

If he still thinks that the list should be preserved, I suggest to create
a new list debian-policy-announce where all "approved" policy changes will
be reported. Every maintainer should be subscribed and so he/she gets
notified of all changes (see also next section).

4. The size of the mail
-----------------------

I know the mails have always been a bit long. That's because I collect all
policy discussions and prepare the mail about once a month. I'm thinking
of the following improvements:

  - "approved" changes will be split from the other topics

    The approved changes will be sent to the new list (or
debian-devel-announce) since they don't require any further discussion.

  - The other topics will be posted in a long mail to debian-devel so the
developers that don't read debian-policy can somehow keep track of what's
being discussed. (If they don't agree with the statements, they can
subscribe to debian-policy finally.)

  - In addition, the postings will go to debian-policy, one mail for each
topic. The subject will also contain the title of the topic. This will
hopefully make parallel discussions more easy to follow as it will
seperate the discussions into different threads.

  - I'll try not to wait that long for new "POLICY UPDATES" but release
them more often so they are not so many topics to discuss at once.

5. Feedback
-----------

I really like to get more feedback on this effort. (I've only received a
few "I like it" comments--about which I was very happy, btw--until now, so
it's good to have some people finally discussing this!)

_Any_ comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/