Re: Debian is still incompatible with Dell XPi Laptops

> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
>
> > Did you try the "tecra" kernel?
>
> Oops.  Forgot about that (I remember trying it a long time ago and it
> worked).  Aside from the loader, does anyone know whats different
> about the tecra kernel?

It's got a patch that flushes out the processor cache after switching on the A20 gate, which if not done causes the Tecra to lock up (because of what looks like a minor motherboard bug).

See:

  http://www.cck.uni-kl.de/misc/tecra710/

Unfortunately, the patch causes some other machines to lock up, so it cannot be used by default.

Cheers, Phil.