Re: Placement of console device for `virtual-dev' package

>	Yes, maybe... but I was only suggested that it could be
>removed from mtab in the `halt' phase, i.e., in runlevels 0 and 6.

Ooohh!  I get it now.

>> If it's not listed in /etc/fstab, though, umount -a will not attempt to
>> unmount it, but everything else should work as normal.  I prefer that
>> solution.  I'll even change the package eventually...
>
>	No, that's wrong.  `mount -a' mounts the filesystems specified
>in /etc/fstab, but `umount -a' umounts all the specified in /etc/mtab.
>It's not symmetric.  `mount -a' means `Mount everything that *should*
>be mounted.', but `umount -a' means `Umount *everything* that is
>mounted.'

Ah.  You're right there.  I was confused by memories of some
experiments where I'd mounted filesystems that were not in fstab, and
they had not been unmounted at shutdown.  I now remember that the
problem was not that they weren't in fstab (although they weren't), but
because I'd mounted them while under the influence of chroot, and their
entries had been put in a -different- /etc/mtab!  Thanks for putting me
straight.

Okay, so I need an init.d script that gets executed in runlevels 0 and
6, with sequence number < 20 [sysvinit maintainer: will 15 do?], which
removes the /dev entry from mtab.  I should be able to manage that!

--Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>
PGP public keyprint: 74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2