Re: Packaging plan (finally)

Bruce, I lost the copy of your reply, but I recall the content. plan is a
motif based (compiled against lesstif) appointment program which I took
from the prospective packages list. netplan, part of the plan package, is
a network program that allows multiple users to coordinate appointment
files. The upstream author hardwired in the uid and gid for netplan for
security reasons which he recommended to set to nobody and nogroup. From a
netplan writes to /var/lib/plan and nobody isn't supposed to have write
access (to my knowledge). I have suggested to the upstream author to
change this, and he said he would consider it but I have not heard
anything else. Anyway, for more details, look in the debian-devel archives
around last June and July for discussions regarding this between Galen and
myself.

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Colin R. Telmer wrote:
>
> > I am in the midst of finally packaging plan which, unfortunately, needs a
> > statically assigned uid and gid (I have passed this on as a bug to the
> > author). Reading the policy manual, it seems to me that I should choose
> > numbers between 60000 and 64999. Doing this is simple enough, but I am
> > confused how to this. Are these numbers reserved in the sense that
> > I have to apply for one? Is there a list of numbers within this range
> > already used? Thanks, Colin.
>
> Well, as far as I know, nobody has yet needed these numbers, and so no list
> exists, and nobody is taking applications.
>
> Since I'm the maintainer of base-passwd, and handle 0-99 already, I'll
> maintain the Official List(TM) of numbers 60000-64999.  Just ask, and ye
> shall receive.  Is anybody already using ids in this range?

Thanks for replying Galen. I have used uid:gid 63434:63434. I specifically
chose strange numbers to try to aviod previously used numbers. Is this ok?

Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
School of Policy Studies Building, Room 309, Queen's University