Re: YADW (Yeat another dpkg wishlist)

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On 14 Oct 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> >
> > > I was told that 'unpack' followed by 'configure' was equivalent to
> > > 'install'. If this isn't true then what's the difference?
> >
> > Yes, the end result is the same either way.
> >
> > You misunderstood what I meant by overhead.  Every time you invoke
> > dpkg, it reads the database in.  That takes time.  Invoking dpkg once
> > with 10 packages is thus faster than invoking it 10 times with one
> > package.
> >
> Yes, I clearly did misunderstand. Doesn't dpkg already accept multiple
> packages on the command line, and install them in the order presented? Is
> the limit here based on command line buffer size, or number of option
> values allowed?

Dwarf,

Yes, you are totally right. However it does not allow you to unpack a
package, configure it and then unpack 10 more, configure them, etc. It
allows a single batch of operations on a set of packages in order.

This is not enough to handle predepends, immediate configuration,
smart conflicts removal and so on.

Guy,

Yes, calling dpkg mulitple times is slow which leaves only two choices.
We could patch dpkg to allow use to give it a list of things to do or
write a routine that figures out the minimum number of times to call dpkg
to get all the nescessary steps done in order.

I recall a few emails back that Ian seemed to suggest he would implement
something like the first idea (or I misunderstand) so I think that is the
route that we will use.

I hope this clears it up for you both.

Jason