Re: Samba: from inetd vs. daemon

Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> In my humble opinion, a file/printer server must be _fast_. Running
> Samba as a daemon will be a little bit faster than running it from
> inetd. Also, at least some of the members of the Samba team think it's
> better to run Samba as daemons.

Run it as a daemon. The initial connection is *much* faster,
even on a fast box. My users here gauge it against our NT40 servers.

> One point that makes running Samba from inetd favorable is security:
> the tcp wrapper can be used to control access to the server. However,
> as someone said in debian-private, access control can be done from
> within Samba by using the "allow hosts" directive in smb.conf.

Yes, and you should not allow ports 137 and 138 ( I think those are right )
to be passed by your firewall anyway! :)

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
  Actually, I *do* know everything. I just don't get paid enough to show it.