Re: new e2fsprogs & partitions > than 2gig?

Juan Cespedes <cespedes@debian.org> wrote:

> 	I don't know it the problem is also in mke2fs.  I was talking
> about `e2fsck'.  `e2fsck' version 1.10-6, as well as version 1.10-4,
> may *destroy* your partition if you use it.
>

> On 20 Oct 1997, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > That's a trivial bug, the prototype for llseek is missing in glibc.
>
> 	Well, I don't think this can be called a `trivial bug', even if
> the fix is trivial.  It's still a *critical* bug, which needs to be
> fixed ASAP.

I agree, after following the libc6 howto which states that 1.10-5 was ok, I assumed 1.10-6 would also be ok, silly me, I killed about 500 meg of files during an fsck.  Furthermore e2fsck was unable to restore to the partition to anything less than chaos.  I reverted to a 3 year old e2fsck which seems to have fixed things (except for the 500 meg which is now sitting in lost+found, fortunately it was mostly package source).  Something as nasty as this should be fixed as well as some prominent notices about how the existence of the problem.

Richard.