Re: New ip-up (Was: Re: REQ ip-up: run-parts /etc/ppp/up )

Thanks Erv.  Good explanation.  One problem I see is, not a lot of ppp
users have a static IP.  Our IP (and thus, hostname) is different every
time we connect.

Is there an easy way to check if the current hostname resolves to the IP
of the first ppp interface that came up?

I think the correct behavior is to only modify the hostname when the first
ppp interface comes up, and when the last ppp interface comes down.
Anyone have any different thoughs?  Hints on implementation?

I mean, how does one detect the presence of multiple ppp interfaces?
Should be some simple way to abort ip-up and ip-down...

Also, can't a box have multiple FQND's ?  Perhaps an awk solution is
needed so they all work?  But then what is the relationship of `hostname`
to /etc/hosts ?

Cheers.

Jonathan Walther