Re: Let's be friends. (Non-maintainer uploads made easier)

joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl (joost witteveen)  wrote on 24.10.97 in <[🔎] m0xOlbh-000CL6C@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl>:

> > 	Unless I am missing something, this proposal actually
> >  restricts the candidates for non-maintainer uploads; I also fail to
> >  see how it makes non-maintainer uploads any easier.

That's also my impression.

> Yes, you are missing something: the "friends" uploads are considered
> to be basically the same as maintainer uploads; the "friends" uploads
> are *encouraged*. Maybe a better name of "friend" would
> be "Vice-Maintainers", or, "Replacement-Maintainers", in that, when
> the real maintainer is away, the "friends" take on the role of the
> real maintainer.

And just how does this make non-maintainer uploads easier?

I really don't see the point. The maintainer can always tell other people
to go ahead, make a NMU (we see this happen all the time).

Just what, exactly, will be different under the proposed scheme?

(You say that the current scheme is equivalent to Friends: nobody. Seems
to me that it rather is equivalent to Friends: debian-keyring instead.)

MfG Kai