Re: New Packages: emacspeak-bs, emacspeak-ac, emacspeak-ap...

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Richard Braakman wrote:
> >Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >>
> >> *Before* you do work on a package, you should announce as a
> >> 'statement of intent to start work on a package' to avoid
> >> duplication before it happends...
> >
> >I must say that I feel uncomfortable with this policy...
> >
> >If I announce my "intent to start work on a package", that implies a
> >commitment to actually do so.  I am not ready to make that commitment
> >until after I am sure that I can actually handle the package.  I won't
> >know that until I am done packaging it.
>
> I am uncomfortable with this policy too.

Why didn't you reply to the last policy weekly mail, then?

> In my case, I am packaging mostly software I have written myself (access
> software for various speech synthesizers).  The likelihood of
> duplication of effort is pretty low.

The policy is not just to avoid duplication of effort. The most important
thing is that renaming packages later is a hard thing to do. If you
announce the packages before uploading them, you'll probably get some
feedback on the package names at the first hand.

Of course, some package names are obvious (e.g. "bash" or "less") but we
also have packages who's names are not obvious ("devscripts", for
example).

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/