Re: Meaning of `source code'

> 	I'm having some problems interpreting the DFSG... the second
> point is this:

>      2.   Source Code
>           The program must include source code, and must allow distribution
>           in source code as well as compiled form.
>
> 	What is `source code'?  According to the GPL, `source code'
> means this:

> The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for

> 	So, if I write a program which needs a non-free compiler to be
> built, that program _cannot be free_ according to the GPL.  But do we
> consider it free?

Hi.

There was a big discussion of that. If you write a program requiring
non-free compiler and GPL the code, it is in violation of GPL. But
noone except you (the author) can enforce the license. So, since the
author is the first violator, your code is not strictly GPL'ed but
under the license similar to GPL, but with some "relaxation".

In this case your program is surely suitable for contrib, but *not*
main distribution.

Alex Y.

P.S. I *myself* would consider this "relaxed" GPL even more free
than plain GPL, but that's the current policy :(

--
   _
 _( )_