Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

> [...]
>      guaranteed by representative government.
>   4. enjoying political independence, as a people or a country not
>      under foreign rule.
>   5. exempt from external authority, interference, restriction, etc.,
>      as a person, the will, thought, choice, action, etc; independent;
>      unfettered
>   6. able to do something at will; at liberty;
> * 7. not subject to special regulations, restrictions, duties, etc
>   8. not literal, as a translation, adaptation, or the like
>   9. not subject to rules, set forms, etc.
>  10. clear of obstructions or obstacles, as a road, corridor, etc.
>  11. not occupied or in use
>  12. exempt or released from something specified that controls,
>      restrains, burdens, etc. (usually followed by from or of)
>  13. having immunity or being safe (usually followed by from)
>  14. uncombined chemically
> *15. that may be used by or is open to all
>  16. engaged in by all present; genral (free fight, for example)
>  17. unimpeded, as motion or movement; easy, firm, or swift
>  18. loose, not held fast; unattached
>  19. not joined to or in contact with something else;
>  20. acting without self restraint or reserve
>  21. frank and open; unconstrained; unceremonious, or familiar
>  22. unrestrained by decency; loose or licentious
>  23. ready in giving; liberal; lavish
>  24. given readily or in profusion; unstinted
> *25. given without consideration of a return, as a gift
> -26. provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment
>  27. at liberty to enter and enjoy at will (usually followed by of)
>  28. easily worked, as stone, land, etc
>  29. [Nautical] (of a wind) nearly on the quarter, so that a sailing
>      vessel may sail free.
>  30. [Phonetical] (of a vowel) actuated in an open syllable (as
>      opposed to checked)
>  31. traveling without power; under no force except that of gravity or
>      inertia
>  32. [Math] (of a vector) having specified magnitude and direction but
>      no specified initial point.
>  33. *free and clear* [Law] without any encumberance, as a lien or
>      mortgage.
>  34. *free and easy*
>        a) unrestrained; casual; informal
>        b) excessively or inappropriately casual; presumptuous
>  35. *set free* to release, liberate, free.
>  36. *with a free hand* fenerously; freely; openhandedly
>  37. in a free manner; freely
> -38. without cost or charge
>  39. [Nautical] away from the wind so that the vessel need not be
>      close-hauled
>  40. *make free with*
>        a) to use as one's own; help oneself to
>        b) to treat with too much familiarity; to take liberties with.
>  41. to make free; set at liberty; release from bondage, imprisonment,
>      or restraint.
>  42. to exempt or deliver (usually followed by from)
>  43. to relieve or rid (usually followed by of)
>  44. to disengage (usually followed by from or of)

38. without cost or charge

This is not the definition of free I subscribe to in this topic, just that
which is observed by our new users, etc.  And a lot of the rest of the world
in relation to software.

> >> Yes, of course. The material is still there when needed, but we do
> >> not have to promote it.
>
> Paul> Invalid -- some of the software is perfectly good software whose
> Paul> authors are just as softwarily ethical as those of some of our
> Paul> favorite DFSG authors.
>
> 	Free or not free makes no value judgement on software, or on
>  how ethical the authors are.

Sounds this way in the DFSG, to an extent.

> Leland> I think there is a fear that non-DFSG software may become
> Leland> popular, and threaten the existence of "truly free" software.
> >>  Believe me, it is not stuff in non free we have to be scared about
> >> then. Guess what is the wrold's most popular OS?
>
> Paul> Then why are we so pointlessly negative towards our non-free
> Paul> branch?
>
> 	Because we wish to promote the free parts ;-)

And this is somehow needing to be mutually exclusive topics?

> Paul> They _are_ words, not the ten commandments.  Not the word of
> Paul> God.  Just a bunch of rules made up a qyite a while ago, not
> Paul> really ratified (and I've heard the story hear...), of which the
> Paul> group has changed since then...

> 	It was voted upon by the whole developer community, and passed
>  70-2 (and one of the opponents thought the DFSG was not free
>  enough). How else can it be ratified, pray?

Let's leave the "it _was_ ratified" topic behind.  I know that! Ammendment is
just a different thing...

And besides that point, four monthes is a long time in the Linux world.

-----
Brought to you by the letters E and K and the number 9.

Paul J. Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>
<http://thomppj.student.okstate.edu/~thomppj/>