Re: packaging perl modules

I got things to work.
INSTALLDIRS=perl  just asks for a non-local install
PREFIX  is for all the files except the man pages
INSTALLMANxDIR   is for section x man pages
Careful, all of the vars with "_" in them are >not< final destination dirs
(eq INST_MAN3DIR)
Also, as Scott Ellis wrote, you must include the full path name (with
`pwd`) or things will get installed all over ./blib

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 fpolacco@icenet.fi wrote:
>
> > On 15 Jan, Scott K. Ellis wrote:
> > >
> > > perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl
> > >
> > > $(MAKE) PREFIX=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr pure_install
> > >

> > Has the manpage problem installation been resolved?
> > Recently I noticed that target manifypods installed them in place, and
> > had to use   INST_MAN3DIR=debian/tmp/usr/man/man3
> >
> > Another problem that I had is with DynaLoader.
> > I had to link statically otherways it fails because of the difference
> > between the VERSION and the soname.
>
> The INSTALLDIRS directive should take care of both of those, along with
> using PREFIX on install.  I haven't yet given it a try with a package with
> manpages, but I don't see why it would be any different.

Example:

package=pdl
ddir=`pwd`/debian/tmp
build:
	$(checkdir)

	perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl PREFIX=$(ddir)/usr  \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=$(ddir)/usr/man/man1 INSTALLMAN3DIR=$(ddir)/usr/man/man3
	make

.
.
.