Re: web address in control file.

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:

> 	This is probably not the first time this brilliant idea has
> appeared.  Can we encourage developers to put their package's web site in
> the description. This would work well with future utilities that extract
> info from control files. (eg convert available file to html.)

Speaking of new control fields -- I would like to see a field that
means "noninteractive install".  Something like this:

Install-input: none      # preferred
Install-input: foo-db    # uses proposed mechanism to ask questions before
                         # installation and save answers in a database
Install-input: keyboard  # for packages not yet upgraded to use foo-db
Install-input: bar-db    # next year's replacement for foo-db

This would let deity etc. know which packages can be included in a
hands-off installation.

I would propose these additions to the policy:
 - "Required" packages cannot have an installation-input of "keyboard".
	Makes hands-off installation possible.
 - The control field would be required for all packages.
	Makes it easy to check for violations of the above policy.

                                    - Jim Van Zandt