Re: ICQJava

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 02:06:50PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Have anyone package the java ICQ client? Check out:
>
> http://www.mirabilis.com/download/step-by-step-java.html

I think that packaging _any_ software is good for your health,
but please be aware that ICQ is seriously broken.
Its protocol and implementation is heavily insecure. I guess no sane
security admin would even think about letting it through the firewall.
Just take a look into the bugtraq archive.
Even the idea is seriously broken, it is typical 'reinvent the wheel'
software, the same category as preemptive multitask as a new thing in the
'90s.
For those lucky people who don't know what is it: It is a buggy reinvention
of IRC, with some features which are easily written in the script language
of any sane irc client.

I encourage everyone to educate their environment about the above. A good
way to do that is including a warning in the description of the
once-to-be-done package.

---
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból