Re: NIS makes tar slow!

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980120141720.25776A-100000@monet>,
Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:
>When running tar for the first time, I had these entries in
>/etc/nsswitch.conf:
>  passwd:         db files nis
>  group:          db files nis
>for the second time without the "nis" in both entries.

Hmm, when I complained about this bug, I saw this problem when I had
the following in /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         compat
group:          compat

.. and changing it to "nis db files" sped it up considerably. That was
fixed, now compat mode is quite fast, but it looks like something else
got broken in the process.

>Does someone know if this is the normal? Any help is appreciated.

It's not normal, you might have found a bug in GNU libc.
Thorsten Kukuk (the author of the NIS code) might be able to help you:

Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@weber.uni-paderborn.de>

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG