Re: Dependency and priority mismatches

On 19 Jan 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es> writes:
>
> > I guess slang should have a higher priority, as it will be in the new
> > boot-floppies and base system.
>
> Boot-floppies, yes.  Base system also?

It will need to be in the base system as well, unless we want to build two
versions of every base package, and I'm not willing to do that with ae
without some very clear justification.

> I sent some email to Bruce and sr1-boot-floppies on 1/11 about
> util-linux, but no reply.
>
> ----
> If I make the default cfdisk linked against slang, libslang needs to
> move from /usr/lib to /lib, and libslang needs to be on the base disks
> and in the base section.  Is that the plan?

Agreed. ae will not work in single user mode because of the current
placement of the slang library.

> Two other alternatives would be a cfdisk-slang package that wouldn't
> normally be installed or if I simply apply the patch but turn it off
> by default.  Boot disk creation would then have to do something like:
>    cd .../util-linux-2.7.1/disk-utils
>    make SLCURSES=1 cfdisk
>    cp cfdisk ...
> ---
I'm not sure I follow what is being suggested here, but it sounds like two
packages to me.

> Do you know anything about this?  bash is always going to need
> ncurses, so there's no way we can remove ncurses from base.
> Personally I think one of my two alternatives is most reasonable.

As I understood it, slang was to free up the root file system on the
rescue floppy. As it only uses ash, the bash issue isn't a problem. It
only means that slang must be included on both the rescue root file
system, and the base system. ncurses will go missing from the rescue file
system in the process, but not from base.

I think your first alternative is the correct one.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-