From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>
To: Peter Dalgaard BSA <p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk>
cc: Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu>,
        Kurt Hornik <Kurt.Hornik@ci.tuwien.ac.at>,
        Martyn Plummer <plummer@iarc.fr>,
        Friedrich Leisch <Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at>, bruce@pixar.com
Subject: Re: Binary linux packages for CRAN

On 13 Jan 1998, Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:

> Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > There is a problem with automatically generating .rpm packages from
> > .deb packages for the most recent versions of those distributions.
> > The Debian libreadline.so.2.1 corresponds to the RedHat
> > libreadline.so.3.0.  I have exchanged some e-mail with Guy Maor of the
> > Debian project about it and he suggests that it is safe for RedHat
> > users to put in a symbolic link.  There appears to be a fundamental
> > difference in approach between the two maintainers of this library for
> > the two distributions.  Guy goes with the 2.1 number because that's
> > the number the authors give it and it is upwardly compatible with the
> > 2.0 release.  The RedHat maintainer claims it is a major revision
> > relative to 2.0 so should have a new major number.
>
> Well to be completely precise, Eric Troan (RedHat)'s point is that the
> *original* maintainer (Chet Ramey) has set the shared object number at
> 3.0, and that that should be respected. To wit:
>
> Apparently, Chet Ramey decided that it was more important to maintain
> the same .so version numbers on all platforms than to allow the new
> version to work as a drop-in replacement, even though it could, as the
> version number of the non-shared library also indicates.
>
> Eric: Are you *sure* you don't want to put in that silly little
> symlink for Debian compatibility? (Of course this instantly upgrades
> everything that was linked with libreadline-2.0...)

Yes, I'm sure. I really do think that Deiban is doing the wrong thing
here for no good reason. Their glibc library won't be drop-in compatible
with the libc 5.x one anyway, so why not use Chet Ramey's preferred
numbering?

Bruce, I'm copying you on this to see what you think. It would be a
good thing if Debian and Red Hat used the same soname for readline -- how
hard would it be to change the one in your current glibc development
release to the default specified by the readline package?

Erik

> > Eric: Are you *sure* you don't want to put in that silly little
> > symlink for Debian compatibility? (Of course this instantly upgrades
> > everything that was linked with libreadline-2.0...)
>
> Yes, I'm sure. I really do think that Deiban is doing the wrong thing
> here for no good reason. Their glibc library won't be drop-in compatible
> with the libc 5.x one anyway, so why not use Chet Ramey's preferred
> numbering?
>
> Bruce, I'm copying you on this to see what you think. It would be a
> good thing if Debian and Red Hat used the same soname for readline -- how
> hard would it be to change the one in your current glibc development
> release to the default specified by the readline package?

On closer examination, the cross-development turned out to be
problematic anyway, this time due to ncurses version skew (which I
suspect is a whole *other* nasty can of worms), so we're probably best
off making binaries on "virgin" releases - if we can find some
accessible machines with them.

(And as someone remarked, how hard is it for the user to type "make
install help" anyway?)

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
--
Balance the U.S. budget! - NO tax cuts until the deficit's gone.