Re: FWD: SNTP

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Regarding "FWD: SNTP" of 4:21 PM -0500 1/17/98, Joey Hess wrote:
> > >I wonder if anyone is interested in packaging this.
> > >
> > I'll look into it.
>
> I'm simply using ntpdate in the crontab, to run every 5 minutes. This doesnt
> require a xntp daemon, and sets the clock pretty well, too.

I had mstnp running on va+master for a few days (they both now run xntp)
and my observations are that msntp is MUCH more accurate than netdate.
Netdate does no corrections for transmission distances.

Also, running netdate from the crontab will give all sorts of clock
discontinuities. I would recommend using msntp -a -r (?) in the crontab
which should smoothly adjust the clock correcting from drift.

The only bad thing about mstnp is that it will crash if there is any
packet loss to the server. If you have a perfect connection (ethernet)
then you can use the -x option and it will correct your clock every hour
or so and compensate for drift.

Also, xntp is really really easy to setup in debian, you might want to
look at that.

Jason