Re: Mailing list policy (stats)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Arto Astala wrote:

> I did a crude tabulation of messages in debian-devel Jan 98
.
.
.
> 2) debian-unstable (or whatever) would draw noticeable
>    amount of traffic from debian-devel AND maybe
>    also provide better service for those who are
>    NOT asking questions here out of consideration for
>    developers

	Numbered list of points:

1)	Today, I answered a question debian-devel.  I have seen others
respond too. I would suggest anyone answering a user question should
reply with a polite request to repost to debian user.

2)	Fixing the search engine on the archives might help a lot.
I always want to check it before I post.

3) It should be made clear on the subscription web page what the various
mailing lists are for.

>From the subscription web page:

     This is the main discussion list for development topics. All
     developer should be subscribed to this list. As it is
     open to the public anyone can join the discussion.

It may be implicit that 'development topics' does not include policy, but
its not clear.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>