Re: over 30000 bugs in our archive (!)

joost witteveen wrote:
<snip problem>
> So, to allow people to put directories like /etc, /var, /usr on
> different partitions than the root partition, and allow them to make
> symlinks from /etc (&c) to /mnt/whatever/etc, I'd say having absolute
> symlinks is A Good Thing.

All right, if this is the reason that paragraph is in the policy manual,
then it's clear to me it applies to other top level directories, not only
/etc and /var.

     Most symbolic links should be relative, not absolute. Absolute links,
     in general, cause problems when a file system is not mounted where it
     "normally" resides (for example, when mounted via NFS).

     In particular, symbolic links from one part of `/usr' to another
     should be relative.

     In certain cases, however, relative links may cause more problems. For
     example, links into `/etc' and `/var' should be absolute.

Maybe this should be changed to:

     In certain cases, however, relative links may cause more problems. For
     example, links into top level directories such as `/etc' and `/var'
     should be absolute.

--
see shy jo