Re: autoup.sh & considerations on bail-out scripts

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> Hi, when looking through autoup.sh, I noticed something that may be a
> problem. to wit, it seems as if it depends on ncftp for its ftp
> method.  First and foremost, this presents the problem that ncftp is
> not free (open, I guess I should say:-), and is not on our official
> CD.  Second of all, I think it would be better to utilize something
> that is more commonly available.
>
> It seems as though the only way to execute a script non interactively
> with plain ftp is with the use of a .netrc file.  The script could
> check to make sure the file does not exist, ask the user to create it,
> write the commands to the file, and run ftp, cleaning it up
> afterwards.

At least in bash 2.01 this works:

i = /debian/dists/unstable
ftp -n -i << EOF
o ftp.de.debian.org
user ftp jens@
cd $i
pwd
dir
EOF

this isn`t a third option, is it? :-)

HTH,

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de
Key from: http://www.weh.rwth-aachen.de/~jens/public.asc
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37