non-root daemon and /var/run/daemon.pid

In the mon package I want to run the daemon as user daemon since it
doesn't need to be root, but this prevents it from creating its pid
file in /var/run.  My current solution is to create the pid file in the
/etc/init.d script and chown it to user daemon, but this is a little
nasty in that the program can't unlink it when it exits.  I've worked
around that by having the program truncate the file if it can't unlink
it, but that's even nastier.

Is there a better solution?

--
Roderick Schertler