Re: New Package: camediaplay 980118-1 (source i386)

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > Package: camediaplay
> > Version: 980118-1
> > Maintainer: Christoph Lameter <chris@lameter.com>
> >  But does not work with my camera! (Casio) Need a new maintainer.
>
> I don't think it's good practise to introduce new packages if you know
> from the beginning that you don't want to maintain this package
> (especially without a discussion!). We already have too many orphaned
> packages and we should not introduce `new orphans' in which noone is
> intrested. This is not what our archive is for.
>
> So unless someone else is willing to take over maintainership of this
> package now, this package should be removed again from Incoming.

Please let the package into the distribution! It's important to have
even unmaintained packages in our main distribution. This way people
can give the program a try. If they like it, they will start
maintaining it or do non-maintainer releases etc.. If don't it will be
removed if it has to many bugs and nobody cares.

AND for newbies it's much easier to start to maintain with improving a
package than to do it from scratch. Christoph is building many many
packages. He can't maintain all of them. Therefor he puts *all*
packages on the orphan list. If nobody takes the package and he is
interested in the package he's maintaining it, even if listed as
orphaned.

I really like this approach! Please let him do it this way in the
future.

Thanks
     Christian

--