Protocol for old bug removal

I have been going over the old bugs for the libc6 packages and have come
up against a procedural problem.

Several of these bug reports are on very old version of the package (for
instance I have several for wg15-local that were simply reasigned to
locals when it replaced the older package) and when trying to contact the
person who reported the bug (to see if it has been fixed) I get bounced
mail. Being unable to get any clarification of the bug (several of which I
don't even understand the problem) or verification that it is still a bug,
leaves me with my hands tied.

I would like to retire these bugs and wait to see if they reapear during
"formal" testing. This will at least provide me with a warm body to work
with in resolving the problem. I hesitate to do this without first
discussing the problem, as I know that many of you object to "gratuitous"
closing of bug reports.

Can I get some feedback on this?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-