Re: announcement: lintian 0.2 package released

[You (Christian Schwarz)]
>On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
>> > Note, that these are not really 28000 bugs, but that many lintian
>> > warnings/errors.
>>
>> some (or many) problems comes from 'non-standard-file-perm 0444'. In the cas
>> for x11-apps this come from the default x11 config-files for xmkmf, like
>> this:

You mean the Imake rules and template files right?

>>      INSTBINFLAGS = -m 0755
>>      INSTUIDFLAGS = -m 4711
>>      INSTLIBFLAGS = -m 0644
>>      INSTINCFLAGS = -m 0444
>>      INSTMANFLAGS = -m 0444
>>      INSTDATFLAGS = -m 0444
>>      INSTKMEMFLAGS = -m 4711
>>
>> If we could change this (MAN, INC, DAT) to 0644, we must it not do in
>> the debian/rules file.
>
>Good idea. If everyone else agrees that these files should all be mode
>0644 by default, please file a bug report against xlib6g-dev.
>
>> But then we must recompile xbase or xlib!? Bad for debian-2.0. Possible
>> for 2.1??
>
>We have 4 weeks left until we'll have the code freeze, so rebuilding the X
>packages shouldn't be a problem.

I don't understand.  Just because the Imake rules builders change, why
does that mean that X has to be rebuilt?  It's not like we're changing
locations of files or anything?  AFAIK, it's just going to be a
convenience for debian X package maintainers.  So when they do 'make
makefiles' or 'xmkmf -a' they actually get makefiles which conform to
local policy.

I heartily agree that the local Imake rules should conform to policy, and
agree this bug should be filed.