Re: source with main & contrib targets

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> Can you suggest a solution? Since the source package cannot be in
> contrib to build a main package, and cannot be in main to build a contrib
> package, is there any solution other than (a) drop one (I'm not willing
> to drop the contrib one and it's a shame to drop the main one),
> or (b) duplicate the source packages with different names?

I faced a similar question with mysql itself. All of the client side
source files are free (in our sense of the word); only a handful of
source files for the server are covered by the 'Mysql Free Public
License' (i.e. non-free). I toyed with the idea of splitting the
source to put some of the subpackages into contrib (or maybe even
main).

I ended up deciding this was too much bother for little or no
benefit. After all, you may be able to compile and run mysql clients
without using any non-free source files, but you can't do anything
useful with them without a non-free mysql server running someplace.

Scott
--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>
Johmsweg 9a, D-21266 Jesteburg, Germany