Re: Curious warning from linker re libc5/libc6

On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 10:02:12AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
>   >ld is linking against /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so, thus creating a mixed
>   >libc binary. This is bad.
>
> Does the same apply to static libraries?

Yes.

[I'm not a compiler guru, so this is not to be taken as gospel.]
In my understanding, if you link together object files compiled with
headers for a different versions of the C library, they can for instance
disagree on things like sizeof(somelibcstruct). The result is often a binary
that appears to work, but can have strange problems.

> I'm guessing that it does, and that if I am using static libraries
> compiled with libc5 I have to make everything else libc5.  Is that
> correct?

Yes.

Ray
--