Re: On new names for "Deity"

	That didn't come out right.

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 10:54:29AM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 03:25:53AM -0000, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> > Actually, I would have thought that acronyms would be more difficult for
> > foreign languages, just because they have no meaning and can not be
> > translated sensibly. I have a lot of trouble when even people with heavy
> > accents use acronyms on the phone, even when they spell them.
> 	I'm Finnish, and it's not even in the same language family
> 	as English and friends. So I guess I have a good background
> 	on this:

	Abbreviations may be infact very good, but the best
	abbrevs are like "hurd". Even if it is an abbrev, it
	still is an extremely easy word. It should be a logical
	abbrev, not something like Gnu Network Object Model E...

> 	Please do not choose any word that native english speakers
> 	will think of as rare. It will cause trouble, as the spelling
> 	will be too uncertain (trove: trouve, trov, trouv, truve, etc),
> 	and you can't be even sure about the pronounciation
> 	("trooove", "truuve", "trov", "trouv", "trouve"..)
> 	Trove is certain to make a finn uncertain.

	Simple names are best. Below are some "simple" names (easy
	to write, easy to understand, easy to remember):

--
tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi - it's a valid address w/o spam