Re: scores file - how to fix?

Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> I've been looking at how to change my packages to conform to the "new"
> standard. I was one of those nasty, bad people who tagged scores files as
> conffiles. I believe this is how to fix it:
>
> preinst:  when called with "upgrade old-version", check to see if the
>           old-version was a "broken" package. If it was, copy the
>           scores to a temporary location (e.g. "cp $SCORE $SCORE.tmp" )
>
> postinst: if $SCORE.tmp exists, "mv $SCORE.tmp $SCORE". Always do
>           "touch $SCORE; chown root.games $SCORE; chmod 0664 $SCORE"
>
> This should keep the old scores around if they exist. It always creates a
> scores file with the correct permissions.

This isn't necessary. All you need is:

postinst: touch $SCORE; chown root.games $SCORE; chmod 0664 $SCORE

This works because if you change a package so a conffile does not exist in
the package anymore, dpkg leaves the conffile in place when you upgrade.

Note that you also need:

postrm (on purge only): rm -f $SCORE; (delete the directory tree $SCORE was in)

You have to delete the directory tree because dpkg has already tried and
failed to remove it by this point, and will not try again.

--
see shy jo