Re: outgoing SMTP and dynamic DNS

bruce@va.debian.org writes:

> Few sites will accept mail any longer if they can not resolve your DNS
> reverse lookup to match your forward DNS. Most have PARANOID enabled
> in tcpd.

Why does this matter?  If I connect to a system set to paranoid, it
will look up a PTR for my IP address (203.97.51.58 last time) and get
the name d4-u58.wgtn.clear.net.nz.  Then it will look up this name and
get 203.97.51.58, and tcpd's paranoia will be satisfied.

It's the ISP's responsibility to correctly set up names for all their
dialin lines.

Another problem is if my envelope sender address was set wrong.  The
default here, with my very non-compliant setup, would be
<carey@psyche.evansnet> which would of course fail a DNS MX or A
lookup.  With qmail I set QMAILSUSER and QMAILSHOST to get
<c.evans@clear.net.nz>, and clear.net.nz has an MX record.  I'd need
some host that would accept mail for me anyway, if my IP address is
always changing, and it can then use ETRN, POP3 or UUCP to get the
mail to me.

If the host gets picky about "EHLO psyche.evansnet" I'd be in trouble,
but it's then non-compliant.

All my mail goes via my ISP's host anyway, so I could have no clue
what I'm talking about, though.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."