Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk> writes:

> I never said can't but used *preferably*. And yes, you shouldn't if
> there is someone else that will do it.

I disagree; if Tom wants to maintain Foo but doesn't have Motif, there
is *NO* reason why he shouldn't maintain it.  Do you seriously think
Harry should maintain Foo, simply because he has Motif?  Even if he
were a less qualified person to maintain Foo?

> > That strikes me as utterly absurd and contrary to what Debian is.
>
> Well then your position is utterly fanatic and contrary to the
> Social Contract:

I don't believe people who have purchased a commercial library should
be considered ``preferable'' to maintain free software over people who
have not purchased said commercial library.  If you consider that
fanatical, that is of course your prerogative.

I don't think the needs of Debian users are served by favouring the
owners of commercial libraries as package maintainers over those of us
unwilling or unable to purchase commercial libraries.

--
James