Re: problems with fakeroot and $PATH

Joel Rosdahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got no reply on my previous post

I saw it, and it's still in my debian-devel folder, but I haven't
had time yet to respond to it.

> I'm building a package with fakeroot.  In the "clean" rule of the main
> Makefile, there is line like this:
>
> 	(cd src && xmkmf && $(MAKE) clean)
>
> But with fakeroot the PATH is
>
>   /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Yes, this is a known problem of fakeroot_0.0.

I've got fakeroot_0.1 already on my computer, but it hasn't got the
security fix (i.e. it needs libc6-2.0.7). It also lacks other
things. That's why I didn't respond to your post the first time around.

> and thus xmkmf is not found.  Should I hack the Makefile or can I add
> /usr/bin/X11 to the PATH inside fakeroot's environment in some way?

well, it should be possible to do what you want with two little
scripts. But really I should get round to finish up fakeroot-0.1,
then all those problems are over.

(the other way, the way I fix these problems now, is to just use sudo...)

Sorry for keeping you waiting,

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.