Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On 8 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Can you write a script that will reliably convert existing smail
> > configurations to exim?
>
> Mark Baker writes:
> > Probably not, but why is that relevant? smail will still be in the
> > distribution.
>
> And presumably still broken, since exim was offered as a solution to the
> smail problem. I'm not opposed to making exim the default MTA.  I just
> want to be sure that the transition is not painful for our users.

But the most heard complaints (about smail rejecting connections when the
name given by the HELO command doesn't match the remote hostname) can be
easily solved by changing a configuration option so that the check is
disabled. This could be done as a patch to smailconfig.

Remco