Re: HAMM FREEZE IS ONE WEEK AWAY

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> > Perhaps we should check the date of the last package upload, the number of
> > open bugs, etc. and try to detect the real unmaintained packages by this.
>
> Isn't "the package has important bugs" enough for a criterion? Packages
> without bugs don't need to be moved out of main, I think.

I tend to agree with this.  I don't think we should remove a bugless
package just because it fails a maintainer ping.

> What packages in 'main' are so much trouble to convert to libc6 and are so
> important to the distribution that a libc5 version will be allowed in
> Debian 2.0?

Important questions (which I don't have an answer for).  Looking at the
problem is better than bending the rules in this case.  In the
manufacturing world, this is the difference between fixing the machine
that breaks every 5 minutes and keeping more inventory, inventory isn't
the solution, it's a cover up of the real problem.

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds