Uploading fixed packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel and I both encountered difficulties with g77 and the
-fpic option producing errors at the assembler stage for code in our
packages.  Dirk had to use a work-around for this when compiling
octave.  In compiling a version of my r-cran-non-free package I had to
remove two contributed modules because I couldn't get them to compile.

We found out that Galen's new version of the binutils package,
uploaded on Saturday or Sunday, fixed the problem we were having with
g77 and -fpic.  If I compile a new version of r-cran-non-free with
those two contributed modules back in, can I consider that a bug-fix
and upload the package to stable?